Ottumwa Public Library (1901)
The Ottumwa Public Library, on the west side of Central Park, is one of the 101 libraries in Iowa funded by Andrew Carnegie. Designed by Smith and Gutterson of Des Moines, Iowa, the Neo-classical limestone structure is a typical Carnegie building, with a high foundation and a formal staircase leading to a front entrance flanked by classical columns. The Ottumwa building, however, features a shallow dome over the rotunda.
A 1902 picture of the Ottumwa Library is shown on the right. Andrew Carnegie donated $50,000 for the library. The cornerstone was laid on September 1, 1901. Mary E. Downey was the first Head Librarian.
The Ottumwa Public Library building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.