Ottumwa Courier Building (1921)
The Ottumwa Courier building, 213 East Second Street, is directly across the street from the Benson Building. It is an outstanding example of Egyptian Revival, a style rarely found in commercial buildings.
Designed by architects Clausen and Krause of Davenport, Iowa, the tan brick facade with stone trim is a perfect background for the colorful terra cotta details. The entrance is surrounded by a massive pylon capped by a spread-winged raven and a cornice with vulture and globe in the center.
The identification frieze is in the same typeface as the masthead that the newspaper used for many years. The interior design provided the most modern, efficient printing plant available at that time.